Monday, October 19, 2009

Week 1

I'm a bit behind all of you in posting my New Zealand library blog reviews and personal blogs I follow, but I'm finally getting there!

In terms of New Zealand library blogs, like many of you I really enjoy Christchurch City Libraries' blog - their content and tone is excellent and it's very readable. They post on a wide range of topics, and I really enjoyed their live blogging of the Auckland Readers' and Writers' Festival earlier in the year - you can read their coverage of this event here.

Another New Zealand blog that I find really good for keeping up with technology in libraries, is the National Library's librarytechnz blog. They write a lot of digest-style posts and I often skip over these and go straight to their posts that are purely their own content - I think I prefer a more narrative style of blogpost or one that gives a bit more commentary on links etc. In any case, it's always really interesting to see what they're up to, and what the flow-on effects for us might be.

I also enjoy their Create Readers blog, which is excellent for reviews of NZ children's and YA literature in particular - something you won't find many other places online.

Here's a list of a few other non-NZ library blogs that I enjoy:
There are more, but I won't bore you with them here :-)

As an aside, one thing I like about blogs is that they mean that we get to see people's trains of thought as they grapple with new developments - we're not just seeing a very "finished" product in professional publishing anymore, we now get to see what peoples' thought processes are on the way to mastering these new technologies and firming up their ideas of how they can be incorporated into libraries.

The personal blogs I enjoy are mostly family and friends, but like WCL_Kabouter I also enjoy Neil Gaiman's blog, as well as a few other author blogs - Meg Cabot and Tamora Pierce among others. Some web comics I like are xkcd, Dinosaur Comics and Gunnerkrigg Court.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Celeste, I'm having trouble embedding my LibraryThing widget onto my blog. It's not letting me add any html :S

    ReplyDelete